Back end engineer
We are Connecterra:
We innovate for purpose. We are building AI that will impact the future of our planet.
By 2050, the world will have over 9bn people; this requires a 60% increase in food production. With an average age of 59* (in the US), farmers require the help of technology to help them scale. With over 500m farmers in the world and a billion people working in agriculture, now is the time that technology needs to be built to feed the world.
As a full-stack technology company, we engineer hardware sensors and a machine learning platform that trains and operates an AI service in 9 territories. Ida is a farmers’ assistant that can run a dairy farm 30% more efficiently than a human farmer. Ida learns the behavior of farmers and dairy cows and provides guidance on how to run a better farm. Join us and help us build an AI that has purpose. Learn more about us here or check out our press coverage here and here:
The Connecterra Engineering Team is at the core of our company. We keep all systems running and build powerful housing for our AI to grow and learn. Most importantly, we are a key component in the company’s strategic development
If you are a fast learner who thrives in challenging environments and has a creative yet pragmatic approach to problem-solving, read on!
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer science or relevant work experience
- Develop a testable, readable, easy to refactor code base that is easy to extend and maintain with time
- Are experienced with concepts like microservices, functional programming, serverless and distributed computing
- Understand fundamental principles around database, API, and library design
- Familiar with building resilient and scalable big-data pipelines, data lakes and data warehouses
- Have an eye for optimization of processes, algorithms, code bases, data flow
- Experienced with code integration and deployment, validating your implementation through automated and manual testing, monitoring services and debugging issues in a production environment
- You challenge assumptions and help the team identify blind spots
- You are a team player with excellent communications skills, both written and verbal, who is curious by nature and takes ownership at work
- You can write scalable cloud-based services and programmable REST interfaces
- Experience working with the following classes of technologies
- A back-end language and a web service framework (e.g. C# Web API)
- Working understanding of MVC (i.e. Entity Framework etc.)
- Relational databases (SQL server, Postgres)
- RESTful APIs (consuming data from various other services)
- Experience using source control (e.g. Git)
Are able and eager to learn any of the above if you aren’t that experienced with them yet!
We have an eclectic mix of technologies and languages in our stack, but we are working on converging towards a unified stack for easier maintenance. Our tech stack spans Microsoft .Net, Python, Java, Angular, React and a host of open source platforms. You will have a say in setting the direction of evolving our technology stack, just come prepared with solid arguments.
As our Back end developer you will implement and maintain a secure and tested application, frequently liaising with other teams across disciplines.
- Work closely across engineering and product development to deliver high-quality software that provides direct value to farmers
- Support your colleagues from the Data Science team with tools and frameworks to speed up their own feature development
- As part of the team you will contribute to the what (story review), why (roadmap), and how (detailed design and architecture), when (work estimation, deadlines etc.) we build the product plans
- Work well in a team, fostering an environment of collaboration and innovation
- Provide 3rd Line Support (identify, troubleshoot, fix and workaround) for applications and services – you own your code!
- Write applications that are modular, well tested, easy to maintain
- Develop, deploy and maintain back-end services and APIs, for internal or external use.
- The opportunity to play a vital role in an exciting start-up
- A competitive package
- Flexible working hours and vacation policy
- Fantastic office space in Amsterdam
- Very open and creative working environment
- A fridge filled with special kinds of beer and drinks
- Occasional boat rides through the Amsterdam canals
- Catered lunches, tons of snacks and fruit